PR 101 eNEWSLETTER - SUBSCRIBE TODAY!
With simple tips and actionable advice, you'll be able to quickly and easily enhance the visibility of your product, service and brand.
"PR Newswire was a critical tool in helping my client maintain revenues. Faced with declining revenues, I needed to get them out of the box. While they weren’t ready to abandon their print and direct mail efforts, I helped them bolster their web and media presence. The PR Newswire effort definitely helped, especially enhancing our search engine optimization and pay-per-click efforts. When we saw the release distributed through dozens, if not hundreds, of sites on the web, we also saw our pay-per-click ads placed near the release. End result was increased traffic and a bump in their revenues."
5 Steps for Successful Self-Promotion
By Penny C. Sansevieri, Adjunct Instructor NYU & CEO of Author Marketing Experts, Inc.
Does the idea of marketing yourself online make you want to stick your head between your sofa cushions? Self-promotion doesn't have to be time-consuming or confusing. To break through some of the noise, we're offering some of the most effective yet simple ways you can market yourself. Here are five ways to get started:
1. Blogging: Not only is blogging quick and easy, but it helps you produce content that you can share online to showcase your expertise and promote yourself. Regular blogging is also a great way to keep the Google algorithm happy; Google is still king of online search. When you have your own blog and produce content regularly Google will reward you with a higher search ranking, and that puts you ahead of the competition. Blog at least once a week.
Worried about what to blog about? Here are some ideas to get you started:
- blog about what's happening in your industry
- write reviews for books in your genre or niche
- blog as one of your characters and take readers behind the scenes
- post short stories or a sneak peek of your next book – it’s a fantastic way to get reader feedback
- interview people in your industry
- use the blog idea generator - it's free! http://www.hubspot.com/blog-topic-generator
2. Make your blog go viral: Now that you've got a blogging schedule and good information to share, spread it around. Share it on Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn, Google+ - any social media site you use. Be sure to tailor the post to the site you're using. For instance, turn the post into a pithy 140 character tweet and include a photo on Twitter. You can post a longer explanation (or pose a question) on Facebook, but be sure to use a photo there as well - visuals really matter on social media.
3. Blog carnivals: Another way to help your blog get exposure is to submit your posts to Blog Carnivals. Create an account at http://blogcarnival.com, then review the listings to see what you'd like to do. There are Blog Carnivals for writers, for marketing, and for a variety of additional topics. Some carnivals are weekly, others are monthly. It's a great way to build more online contacts and share your content with a new audience. You can even submit to our blog carnival at: http://blogcarnival.com/bc/submit_15273.html
4. Join the conversation: Being successful online is about being active, sharing information, and joining discussions. You can follow blogs in your industry and comment. Grow your following on social media and become part of the community there, too. Don't just share your own ideas; take time to comment on other member's posts, too. Answer questions, offer your perspective on an issue, show support for other members. This will help you gain followers and build credibility.
5. Share the love: Sign up at talkwalker.com and mention.net so you can monitor what's being said about you online. Put in alerts for your name, book title(s), and industry. Then when you get alerts you'll know what's going on, and you can thank those who might have reviewed your book, shared your blog post, etc. And you can share those posts about you or your book on your social media.
While there are many other ways to be active online, keeping it simple and focused is the best way to ensure success. Don't let online promotion overwhelm you. Find a few things you enjoy, can do well, and build your following from there!
Penny C. Sansevieri, CEO and founder of Author Marketing Experts, Inc., is a best-selling author and internationally recognized book marketing and media relations expert. Her company is one of the leaders in the publishing industry and has developed some of the most cutting-edge book marketing campaigns. Follow on Twitter @Bookgal.
Looking to expand the visibility of your message via Twitter? PR Newswire's SocialPost distribution can help.
Google+ profile of Penny C. Sansevieri, Adjunct Instructor NYU & CEO of Author Marketing Experts, Inc.Back to top